For more than 18 years, Altarum Institute’s Center for Food and Nutrition has focused on strengthening food assistance and nutrition programs through policy analysis and development, evaluation research, and technical assistance.
As a recognized leader in the field, Altarum has won dozens of contracts and cooperative agreements to conduct studies and provide technical assistance to federal food assistance programs for the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) and its Economic Research Service (ERS).
Altarum also works extensively with state and local programs, particularly those administering food assistance and nutrition programs, including the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP); the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC); and nutrition education programs directed to low-income households.
Altarum offers an extensive history of both WIC and SNAP Education (SNAP-Ed) research and technical assistance. Altarum staff members have developed a deep understanding of the WIC program through a combination of hands-on experience directing and managing state WIC programs and extensive experience in analyzing and supporting all aspects of WIC program operations. Many of Altarum’s WIC-related efforts have focused on improving WIC vendor management systems, client service delivery, financial management, federal reporting, and nutrition education.
Altarum also possesses a deep understanding of the operational intricacies, policy issues, and implementation strategies of SNAP-Ed. Through its many research and technical assistance projects, Altarum has become a leader in assessing the operations and approaches used to conduct research-based nutrition interventions. These skills and experiences provide us the ability to translate theoretical models and methods into practical approaches that are actionable, grounded in reality, and effective.
Altarum’s experience includes:
- Evaluations of SNAP Nutrition Education Models
- Analysis of WIC Program Operations and Service Delivery
- The WIC Participant-Centered Services Model
- Evaluations of the Revised WIC Food Package
- Food Stamp Nutrition Education Systems Review
- Assessment of the Impact of Medicaid on WIC Services
Learn more about each of these projects.
For further information about Altarum’s food assistance and nutrition programs, read our fact sheet, or please contact one of the following:
- Business Advisory Services
- Program and Project Management
- Program Integrity
- Health Program Management, Technical Assistance, and Evaluation
- Cultural Competency Assessment and Training
- Health Program Design and Management
- Program Evaluation
- Strategic Planning
- Technical Assistance and Knowledge Transfer
- Health Research, Policy and Analysis
- Rural and Frontier Health
- Survey Research & Services
- Transformation of Health Systems
- Strategic Communications and Digital Services
- Campaign Development and Implementation
- Multimedia and Video Production
- 1 of 7