Altarum's Veterans Community Action Teams (VCAT) provides resources for those looking to help Veterans in Michigan and beyond. Please see our resources below, or contact Max Burke for more information.
Region 4A Assessment
In an effort to ensure that Military Veterans and their families are well supported within Michigan’s Western Region, Altarum Institute is conducting a community assessment of Veterans' experiences accessing services and support in their communities (Michigan Economic Prosperity Region 4A). The assessment includes interviews of service providers and Veteran advocates, and focus groups with Veterans.
The information collected will help inform and facilitate decisions on what actions are needed to ensure Veterans and their families are well supported within the Region. Counties covered by this assessment include Lake, Mason, Mecosta, Newaygo, Oceana, and Osceola. For further information, please contact Max Burke, Max.Burke@altarum.org.
Region 4A Assessment Veteran’s Focus Groups:
We are looking for Veterans to participate in Focus Groups. These sessions will be two hours long, and each Veteran will receive $50 cash for participating. Veterans must register and be confirmed to participate. Women Veterans have a choice of participating in an all-Women’s group or any of the other groups depending on time of service. For more information click on the desired focus group link below or download Veteran’s Focus Group flyer.
Veteran Focus Group Highlights
- $50 Cash for each Veteran participating
- Who participates: All Veterans
- Focus Groups are 2 hours in length
- Must register and be confirmed to participate
- January 26, 2017, 3:00PM – 5:00PM
Ferris State University – University Center, Room 116
805 Campus Dr.
Big Rapids, MI 49307
- January 25, 2017, 1:00PM -3:00PM
Michigan Works! West Central
240 E. Church Ave
Reed City, MI 49677
Women Veteran’s Focus Group:
- Updates to come
Please check back for more information regarding dates, times, and locations. Veterans who want to sign up please contact Elena Bridges, firstname.lastname@example.org or 616-401-2026.
- Announcement Flyer
- Gulf War/Post 911 Veterans Focus Group
- Focus Group Frequently Asked Questions
- 4A Assessment
- Vietnam Veterans Focus Group
Tina Richardson, Deputy Director, Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency accepted the Abraham Lincoln Pillar of Excellence Award from VA Secretary Robert McDonald on behalf of the Michigan Veterans Community Action Teams (MiVCAT) Project at the National Association of State Directors of the VA mid-winter conference 2016. The award recognized the MiVCAT Project as a national best practice improving the system that serves veterans.
MI Region 6 Presentations
- April 14, 2016 – Employment Services Panel
- November 23, 2015 - Podio: How to Find Resources and Request Support
- September 23, 2015 - Back to School VA Education Benefits
- September 23, 2015 - Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program Orientation
- June 25, 2015 - VCAT Overview
- May 26, 2016 - This Memorial Day, We Remember Those Who Gave All
- Nov 11, 2015 - For Veterans Community Action Teams, Every Day Is Veterans Day
- May 21, 2015 - We Need More Organization, Not More Organizations
- Oct 7, 2014 - Knowing Kevin Bacon: When Six Degrees of Separation is Too Many
- May 22, 2014 - Building Trust to Facilitate Success in Coalitions
- April 10, 2014 - West Michigan Veterans Coalition: Ready to Serve
- Feb 25, 2014 - Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: Signs, Symptoms, and Support—Knowing Is Half the Battle
- Feb 20, 2014 - Collaboration in San Diego, California—San Diego Veterans Coalition
- Jan 16, 2014 - Post-traumatic Stress Can Spur Positive Growth and Resiliency
- Jan 9, 2014 - Working Together to Improve Resources and Services for Veterans
In the News
- Supporting the Mental Health Needs of Veterans in the Metro Detroit Area
- Michigan Veterans Community Action Teams: Community Assessment Summary Report
- Michigan Veterans Community Action Teams - Region 9 Community Assessment Report
- Michigan Veterans Community Action Teams - Region 7 Community Assessment Report
- Michigan Veterans Community Action Teams - Region 6 Community Assessment Report
- Michigan Veterans Community Action Teams - Region 5 Community Assessment Report
- Michigan Veterans Community Action Teams: Detroit Metro Veteran Focus Groups Report
- Michigan Veterans Community Action Teams: Report on the Survey of Veterans Service Providers
- Region 4 Newsletter
- Region 6 Newsletter
- Region 8 Newsletter
- Region 9 Newsletter
- Region 10 Newsletter
- MyVA Community E-Summit Morning Session - September 9, 2016 - 8:30 a.m.
- MyVA Community E-Summit Morning Session - September 9, 2016 - 12:30 p.m.
- Statement of Mr. John King Before the Subcommittee on Health, House Committee on Veterans' Affairs