Altarum’s Center for Food and Nutrition (CFAN) is a nationally recognized leader in strengthening food assistance and nutrition programs through research, program assessment and design, training, and technical assistance. We have supported all tiers and types of nutrition program providers, including local and state government agencies, non-profit organizations, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. With a proven track record of delivering expert evaluation and technical assistance services, we enable nutrition programs to identify effective program strategies and best practices that can be implemented cost efficiently.
With a 20-year history and a team of experienced domain experts and analysts, our team is the go-to source for food assistance and nutrition programs looking to enhance service delivery, achieve strategic objectives, and improve program outcomes. Our team offers decades of hands-on experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program-Education (SNAP-Ed) and the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), and skills in evaluating and supporting all aspects of program operations. Applying expertise in quantitative and qualitative research methodology to design and implement evaluation strategies, we analyze results to shape program policy, provide customized technical assistance and training, and enhance program effectiveness to improve health outcomes for program participants.
Food Assistance Programs
Altarum works to increase the quality and effectiveness of public health nutrition services provided to millions of low-income families by identifying effective strategies and best practices. Our work promotes program integrity and cost effective service delivery through operational assessments, evaluations, technical assistance, and training for WIC, SNAP-Ed, and other nutrition education programs. We identify evidence-based practices and interventions to improve program operations and outcomes, producing quantitative and qualitative analytical findings to inform federal and state food assistance and nutrition program policy. Additionally, we design robust change models to assess programmatic strengths and challenges as well as develop customized plans for operational enhancements.
We strive to strengthen policy and practice for government-funded nutrition programs serving low-income families, like WIC and SNAP-Ed, to improve the health of participants with proven delivery models and nutrition education strategies. With decades of experience serving on the front line and managing food and nutrition programs, our team provides unique insights into best practice recommendations, translating theoretical models and methods into practical implementation strategies that are actionable and effective. We provide formative and evaluation research, needs assessments, strategic planning, and technical assistance to develop effective service delivery models and nutrition education strategies that promote the adoption of positive nutrition and health-related behaviors.
Altarum’s experience includes:
- SNAP-Ed Program Evaluation and Technical Assistance
- Research, Technical Assistance, and Training for WIC
- The WIC Participant-Centered Services Model
- Evaluations of SNAP Nutrition Education Models
- Analysis of WIC Program Operations and Service Delivery
- Evaluations of the Revised WIC Food Package
- Food Stamp Nutrition Education Systems Review
- Assessment of the Impact of Medicaid on WIC Services
Learn more about each of these projects.
For further information about Altarum’s food assistance and nutrition programs, read our fact sheet, or please contact one of the following:
- Business Advisory Services
- Program and Project Management
- Program Integrity
- Health Innovations and Technical Assistance
- Health Program Management, Technical Assistance, and Evaluation
- Cultural Competency Assessment and Training
- Health Program Design and Management
- Program Evaluation
- Strategic Planning
- Technical Assistance and Knowledge Transfer
- Health Research, Policy and Analysis
- Rural and Frontier Health
- Survey Research & Services
- Transformation of Health Systems
- Strategic Communications and Digital Services
- Campaign Development and Implementation
- Multimedia and Video Production
- 1 of 7