Altarum helps our clients harness the power of information technology to improve efficiency and quality and to modernize health care. Our health information technology management and consulting services inform strategic decisions, define system requirements, assess performance and manage complex implementations.
We are nationally recognized experts in health IT and our staff has expertise in health coding standards (e.g., HL7 and ICD-10), interoperability and health information exchange, state Medicaid information systems, electronic health records (EHR), practice management and hospital information systems, claims payment systems, and population health analytics.
We offer a balanced perspective and services that cover the full health information lifecycle from strategy to implementation to assessment.
- Analysis of Alternatives. Altarum has conducted analysis of alternatives (AoA) across a number of settings and investment decisions. Most recently Altarum completed a rigorous assessment of competing EHR acquisition strategies for the Departments of Defense (DoD) and Veterans Affairs (VA). Our analysis included an extensive quantitative and qualitative assessment of risks, costs, schedule and performance of competing alternatives. The overall objective was to specify the solution and strategy which most effectively met the operational, technical and financial requirements of the DoD and VA.
- Cost-Benefit Analysis. Altarum has performed nearly 40 cost-benefit analyses of health IT capabilities across a broad array of domains. Examples include: health information exchange, EHRs, laboratory information management systems, pharmacy transaction systems, blood donation management, inventory management, cost accounting systems, and many others. We use a systematic approach to estimate and compare the costs and benefits of a project, investment or policy. We compare potential courses of action over a defined time horizon, putting forth costs and benefits to allow decision makers to make more informed decisions and deliberate trade-offs. We have completed assessment both prospectively to support investment and retrospectively for evaluation purposes across many clinical and nonclinical processes and environments.
- Independent Government Cost Estimates. Altarum has provided sufficiency reviews or independent government cost estimates for programs in the tens of billions of planned federal expenditures. These cost estimation analyses are done to remedy insufficiencies in original government cost estimates, methodological concerns or in response to GAO program oversight. One example of our work in this area is an independent, risk-adjusted cost estimate of the $9B HealtheVet Program, a complex system-integration initiative that has over 65 applications. Another relevant example is the economic case study of health IT adoption in rural hospitals that we conducted on behalf of the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology . This analysis included hospital IT investment strategies and costs as well as an assessment of financial viability and financing models.
- IT Portfolio Management. We provide portfolio management to monitor performance across our customers’ critical health IT investments. On behalf of the DoD Military Health System Office of the Chief Information Officer, we collect, analyze and present performance management information for military health information technology systems representing billions of dollars in Federal investments. In this role, we collect information from hundreds of contractors and assess performance against plan. We manage plans, metrics and deliverables in a portfolio management database and produce quarterly and annual reports and executive level presentations on outcomes.
- Medicaid Program Management. We have deep expertise in Medicaid Management Information Systems. Over the past decade, we have worked with the Michigan Department of Community Health, Medical Services Administration and Michigan Department of Information Technology in meeting several key federal and state initiatives, including replacement of their Medicaid Management Information System, Uniform Billing Project, HIPAA Transaction and Code Sets, Medicare Crossover Claims, and an automated Post Payment Recovery System. We also provide subject matter and program management expertise on the HIPAA ICD-10 Medical Code Set Implementation project and support all phases of the remediation effort.