Sharing protected health information (PHI) from one electronic health systems to another is not as simple as sharing friend and family contact information with different mobile devices. The standards to permit this have not been completely tested and incorporated into the electronic health systems used to maintain patient health records. Altarum specializes in interoperability process and tool development to advance electronic health system integration.
We have a proven five step systems approach to guide health care agencies down the path of secure and streamlined interoperability.
- Use Case Development and Requirements Gathering We assist clients with defining the business case or the need to exchange and share health information. This includes documenting current workflows, business processes, and privacy and security rules. Existing national messaging and vocabulary standards and transport protocols are evaluated.
- Interoperability Specification and Implementation Guide Development Leveraging the existing national standards and implementation guides, our team creates interoperability implementation guides providing instructions on how to share and use health information in a secure and compatible and manner.
- Functional and System Data Flow Design and Configuration We evaluate our client’s health information exchange environment designing blue prints for secure exchange. We develop transport protocol specifications and configure interfaces for the exchange of health information, catering to the client’s exchange environment.
- Custom Testing and Validation Tool Development and Support Using advanced coding techniques, we develop data quality assurance tools. The tool provides validation checks on the incoming electronic health information to ensure the data complies with the interoperability implementation guides. We apply configurable business rules to determine if the patient data should be accepted and processed. We generate validation reports identifying data quality errors and issues.
- Pilot Evaluation and Ongoing Support To ensure the interoperability process will be seamless, we pilot test with a small group interested in sharing health information. We have a team of analysts who conduct an evaluation of the pilot testing and provide recommendations for improved efficiencies. Our interoperability team is available for long-term support of the technical infrastructure.
Much of our interoperability work is focused on data collected by the state of Michigan and our role is to create a pathway for communication. For the Michigan Department of Community Health our work has included the following: Cancer Surveillance Program, Birth Defects Program, Disease and Syndromic Surveillance Systems, and Critical Congenital Heart Disease Newborn Screening. Additionally, we have worked on programs with Michigan Health Link, Michigan Vital Records and the National Network of Depression Centers.
The trend of mobile devices has steadily been growing for the past decade. More than 70% of physicians use a mobile device in the course of patient care or to research clinical data, while patients are increasingly using mobile platforms as their main or secondary source to educate and track their health. Mobile applications are an essential component in almost every single part of health care delivery—for the health care provider and consumer. Altarum offers complete end-to-end mobile application development services.
Whether you are looking to add a mobile component to an existing application or just have an idea for a mobile app, our experts can bring it to life. We have developed evidence-based applications to guide physicians through specialized pharmaceutical dosing, created mobile apps to help providers choose the most appropriate imaging test for a patient and designed webpages that easily respond to mobile devices. Our clients include government, health care, and pharmaceutical companies.
Our development team can help with:
- Native apps: Mobile applications that run natively on iPhones, iPads, Android devices and other platforms.
- Responsive Websites: Using the latest in HTML5 and CSS3, CCH can develop applications that provide an optimal viewing experience on any platform.
- Hybrid apps: Hybrid apps take a responsive website and wrap it in a native container so it can have access to the native platform-specific features.
Our iterative mobile application development process includes the client at every step from the development of wire frame designs of the app to the testing of beta versions of the software.
This process reduces risks and costs and helps ensure that the delivered product meets all of the customer’s requirements.